Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rahab

Just read about Rahab for my OT class. The worksheet asked why she was important and why she was so worth mentioning so many times, despite being a woman. When I looked in Hebrews 11 and read about her faith, it finally hit me.

I wrote this on my worksheet:

"She had faith in someone else’s story. She took personal faith in the story of someone else’s victory in God. And for that, she is applauded for her faith."

After I read what I wrote, I took a step back, because I realized the faith that she had. So many people want their own personal experience of God invading their life or something they can see before they are willing to give their life and run hard after God. But here, we find a prostitute, who overhears the stories of the God of Israel, His power, His might, and she took it for herself. She never saw God move in her life, but she had the power of the testimony and decided that she would side with God. As a result, she was grafted into Jesus' lineage (Matt 1).

Rahab had the faith Jesus talked about... something like.. "blessed are those who do not see, but believe".

I'm thinking, I hear all these testimonies about the dead being raised, revival breaking out on the streets, disneyland, the grocery store, walmart, people with crazy giftings, etc, yet I've never had that breakthrough for myself. It's time we had "great faith", which is another name for 'simple' faith.

More Jesus!

No comments: